Wednesday, March 17, 2021

What is it about fashion that makes me feel powerful?

I remember the feeling when I first watched The Devil wears Prada. At that time I thought it was the absolute authority that Meryl Streep exuded, but I don’t think it was just that. 


I am currently watching a show called The Bold Type - again a fashion magazine for women, and most of the characters are women. The boss lady in this could not be more different than Meryl Streep’s character. But I still get the same feeling from this show as I did from the movie. 


I have been wondering what it is about the movie and the show that makes me feel powerful, sexy, energetic and makes me crave that life?

The most obvious answer that comes to my mind is ‘aspirations’. 


In the world of fashion, as shown on screen, most of the women are fit and healthy. They wear the most interesting clothes, carry gorgeous bags, accessorise with the ultimate panache and their shoes are to die for. All these are things I would love. 


But I know its not just this because if it was, a fashion magazine would also give me a similar feeling and they don’t, in fact, they leave me quite flat. 


As I continue to watch the show, I realise that a lot of this aspiration has to do with women in the work place. Up and coming hard working women, already made it to the top successful women, bold adventurous risk taking women - this is what charges me up.


I love that they are independent in thought and deed, not afraid to speak up for they believe in, yet have their own vulnerabilities. They work hard, party hard, love fiercely and give their all for the sisterhood all while having what seems like boundless energy. 


Makes me proud to be a woman and makes me aspire to find or create a lifestyle like this for myself. And in the meantime I live vicariously through shows and movies. 



11 comments:

Anne said...

Lovely read

Shraddha Hattangady Mehta said...

Very well written piece. Enjoyed reading it. Was interesting to know about your thoughts about women at work.
All in all 👌🏼

Shweta Wadhwa said...

Loved the blog, and so resonate with it! 👌🏻

(Keep writing, you have a flair for it!)

meghna said...

So fun to read this! Sisterhood indeed! Women lift each other up! I can’t imagine where or what I would have been without the women in my life who lifted me up, pushed me to be better, their kindnesses and their belief in me. The opportunities they enabled for me - at home and at work. I have indeed had male allies - but my tribe of ladies? Ah. This really struck a chord. Haha!

Namrata said...

The sisterhood that lifts us all up is what we all truly crave. I agree that more than the clothes and shoes, it’s the camaraderie at such a workplace that warms the heart. Nicely written, K 👏

inmyeye said...

@Anne thank you so much, I am so glad you enjoyed reading it.

inmyeye said...

@Shraddha thank you so much, I am so glad you enjoyed reading it.

There is something intensely powerful about women in the work place, isn't there.

inmyeye said...

@Shweta, thank you so much. It really makes me feel good to read this. I have always loved writing and to be good at something you love is such good fortune. 🥰

inmyeye said...

@Meghna, thank you so much for such a lovely comment. Growing up my tribe was all male and while that was great fun, I never realised what I was missing until I was surrounded by girls. It was the sisterhood that taught me true love, self appreciation, growth, tears in your eyes laughter and so much more. I am blessed to be surrounded by incredible women.

inmyeye said...

@Namrata, that's exactly it.. The power that comes from community is just incredible. I think this was one things I really missed when I was working and that made leaving so much easier.

Thanks so much..

Kusum Choppra said...

Read Prada, am watching Bold. It is a sheer pleasure watching those 3 navigating uncharted terrain, except when they screech, of course! The contrast between the styles of the 2 boss ladies could not be more sharp.
But cant help noticing the little things.. the girl who gave the Black colleague a come on, dropped him when the other man organised a reprieve for himself....was she such a dimwit she didn't get that? Patriarchy rules supreme.
The 2 lesbians, one experienced in all aspects so restrained, the other with no thought of consequence.. quite naive for these bold n beautiful ladies, la.
makes me awestruck at their daring Life, but a bit glad not to be there.